K–12 Initial Certification Process
Certification information, help, and support is available by calling 888.839.8101 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for K–12 certification an applicant must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or ACSI recognized college or university, and should have or will be required to complete training in the biblical philosophy of education, formal Bible instruction, and appropriate teacher and/or administrator training.
The K–12 certification program for administrators and teachers is a requirement for ACSI school accreditation.
If you would like to pursue certification with ACSI you will need to do the following:
- Download the K-12 Initial Certification Application from the Certification Documents page.
- Print and fill out the application.
- Submit either:
- Transcripts showing at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited or ACSI-recognized college. Transcripts must include your name, the degree earned (if applicable), the date the degree was issued, and the college name and location (all printed by the college/university).
- A permanent state certificate (not substitute or emergency) in the field of certification you are requesting. ACSI may request copies of college transcripts if there is any question regarding the state certificate. If the state certificate uses codes, please ensure that the key to the codes is included.
- Submit the application fee of $75 U.S. funds/$85 Canadian for each level of certification. For example, if you want elementary and secondary, you will need to submit $150 U.S. funds/$170 Canadian.
Find out more:
- Requirements for the different levels of certification
- Philosophy of Christian education (necessary for the first renewal certificate)
- Approved agencies offering equivalency reports verifying an international degree
Visit the Certification Documents page.
See the K–12 Certification FAQs. If your question is not answered there, call our toll-free number, 888.839.8101, and a certification representative will assist you. If you would like a copy of the Powerpoint presentation to show to your faculty, please email email@example.com and a copy will be sent to you.
K–12 Renewal Certification Process
Certification information, help, and support is available by calling 888.839.8101 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each ACSI certificate is mailed with renewal/upgrade requirements attached. This portion of the certificate lists the renewal and/or upgrade requirements, which must be completed before another ACSI certificate can be issued.
General Renewal Requirements
All renewals/upgrades require an application (see the Certification Documents page) and the fee as requested on the application (reduced fee if upgrading withing the first six months the certificate was issued; direct any inquiries to ACSI Certification Department). Instead of sending items piecemeal, please send only completed packets of renewal/upgrade materials.
No renewal is possible. The applicant must do all work listed on his/her individual Certificate (posted on the bottom portion of the Certificate) to receive the Temporary (Basic) or Standard certificate.
Temporary renewal requirements vary from person to person. Therefore, it is necessary for each person to refer to the renewal/upgrade requirements posted on the bottom portion of the certificate. Common renewal requirements would be as follows:
- If deficient in biblical studies: 1 semester hour or 3 CEUs in biblical studies (please refer to the biblical studies requirement sheet to see which courses fulfill the Bible requirement).
- If deficient in professional studies: 3 semester hours from an *accredited college/university at the appropriate grade level (no CEUs in professional studies accepted until you have reached the Standard certificate).
- If not previously completed, the ACSI philosophy of Christian school education requirement must be fulfilled upon first renewal.
If this form has been lost, it can be replaced with a $10 fee by sending a letter including your name and and last 4 digits of your social security or ACSI registration number to:
PO Box 65130
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80962-5130
Renewal requirements must be completed after issue date of certificate to be renewed/upgraded.
- Two semester hours or 5 CEUs (or combination) in biblical studies (unless you have a Bible waiver as explained below).
- Two semester hours or 5 CEUs (or combination) in professional studies.
If an applicant chooses to complete credit hours from a college/university, the college/university must be accredited.
Accredited Colleges and Universities
For a list of accredited colleges/universities, refer to the book Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education (Washington, D.C.: American Council on Education), which may be available in your local library. You may also look on the Council for Higher Education Accreditation website.
*It is possible to receive a lifetime waiver of the requirements in biblical studies if you have completed a minimum of 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in biblical studies from an accredited/ACSI-accepted evangelical Christian college. CEUs do not count toward a Bible waiver.